3.26.2009

Journal on OIP in China - Day 19 & 20

Day 19 March 22
This morning, I woke up at 6.15am and quickly washed up but I was overslept after my alarm clock had rung at 5am. However we been told last night to check out at 6.30am sharp. Fortunately, my group wasn’t the last one to check out. There were some of us had overslept as well after we left the room. At about 6.45am, we boarded the bus and headed to the same restaurant for our breakfast. Later at 7.30am, we boarded the bus and set off to the entrance gateway of Wudang Mountain. 5 minutes later, we reached the place and dropped off from the bus. Then at 8am, we walked and boarded the tour bus to our last destination for taking the cable car. At about 8.50am, we reached the place and went to queue up for the cable car. As we were queuing up, we were been cut the queue by the China people. And there were happened on some conflicts and quarreled between our tour lead and them. They were even scolded us without admitting their wrong for cutting our queue. Then, as we were queuing, we been queued up almost for 1 hour plus before we could board on it. After an hour more had passed, we reached the entrance gateway of Hubei Danjiang and boarded the cable car in a pair with my roommate. Then, when we were in the cable car inside, the distance from one point to another point was about 5-10 km and it took 20-30 minutes to reach. As we were inside the cable car, I saw from the peak of the mountain to the ground level, the height was pretty much taller as it was twice of the Genting Mountain’s. Next, after we reached, we climbed up the staircase to the peak level of Wudang Mountain. There was a small temple where people offer their pray to the deity. About an hour had passed, we went down to take the cable car and boarded into it. After we reached the ground level, we went to the restaurant nearby and had our lunch there before we set off back to the campus. Later, after had our lunch, we went to board our bus and set off from Wudang Mountain to Wuhan at 4pm. As usual, the journey took us almost 4-5 hours to reach the destination. As we were traveling back, we were given 10 minutes toilet break at 7.10pm before continued our journey. Then, about 2 hours later, we had reached our campus outside at 9.45pm and immediately went back to our hostel before we had our sleep. As today’s activity was a great experience to me for knowing how the local people act such as cutting queue. I didn’t know there could have conflicts easily after had happening such cases. And next, I also found out that there were many languages such as dialect when I asked the tour lead. She told me that most of the people in Wuhan spoke dialect rather than normal Mandarin like us. According to the information given by our tour lead, there were 4 kinds of dialects and hardly to understand than what we used normally.








Breakfast








Yellow flag...




Sleeping in the tour bus.



















Queueing but a long queue is occured.


Pushing..






Citizens trying to cut in the queue.
















Off we go..


































\

















This signboard looks weird? Is because of the sentence described?









































Day 20 March 23
This morning as usual, I woke up at 6.15am and did some washed up on myself. Then, I had my breakfast and got ready to attend for morning lesson at 10am. Next, I went to attend some of my homework until 9am and then walked down to the classroom. Today’s morning lesson was nothing much went on except our lecturer had briefly gone through the concept of chapter 5 and 6 within 2 hours. At about 11.20am, I went down to Canteen 3 to have my lunch on my own. As usual, I ordered the mixed vegetable rice from the same stall. After had eaten my lunch, I walked back to the hostel and did my homework and revision on tomorrow’s APPG lab test. Until 1pm plus, I walked down and headed to the classroom for preparing the trial test early. As I was on the way to level 2, Mr Bryan asked me whether I could help him to get the new projector at Administration building. Then, I walked to the classroom to place my bag and went down with him together. As we were walked along, we started our conversation about our interest, normally what we do and etc. From there, I could learn something new as well. As we were chatting along, we reached the Administration building and went inside it. It was quite a huge block and consists of 7-8 levels. Next, we went to take a lift to level 4 and walked up to level 5 by the staircase. There was no level 5 button to be pressed in the lift. While we reached, we walked to the technician and administration room to take the new projector from the staffs there. Later, we walked down to ground level and took the school bus with Mr Bryan for going back to the classroom. When we were boarding the bus, there were 5-6 students sat on the seats and waited for the empty seats to be filled up before the bus could set off. The bus fare for per trip was $1 RMB, which was quite cheap and convenient to reach the destination point in a short time. After that, we reached the school outside and walked down to the classroom. When I walked in the classroom, I saw the trial lab test had already started so I quickly grabbed the question paper and started doing it. However, I managed to complete the part 1 in 10-15 minutes and followed by doing part 2. As I was doing on part 2, I had met some of the calculation error. Although the program did not give any error but when comes to calculation, it gave me the same unexpected result which different from the calculated value in the question. Then, I was quickly troubleshot on the program code. Until the 4th time, it still gave me the same result. Later, about to 5pm, I had started to think what was wrong so I changed another method on doing and it worked immediately. After I had shown the program to my lecturer Mr Ma, I walked to the hostel myself and got myself changed to meet the local students for dinner at 6.30pm. At about 6.35pm, I reached the meeting point at the entrance gate and met them. While they reached, we were deciding where we wanted to eat, so four of us had decided to go to Canteen 2 and had our dinner. Then, while we were eating along, we chatted about our daily life in Singapore and China, we also chatted about their use of language and their interests. Later, I saw some of my classmates came to Canteen 2 for having their dinner at the same time. After we had our dinner, we walked down to the ground level and walked with them to the school library. Before we headed, one of their friends was going back to the hostel and left 3 of us. Then, while we were walking to the library, we talked and met Mr Ma, Mr Chua and his wife along our way. Later, after I accompanied them to the library, I walked back to the hostel and did my study for tomorrow’s lab test. As for today, I was glad that I have the opportunity to gather with the local students and got to know about their living here. Although our conversation wasn’t smooth enough but I managed to understand and got the answer through my investigation. As a conclusion, I began to understand on their language use, their living and their interest during the event.