3.20.2009

Journal on OIP in China - Day 9 & 10

Day 9 March 12
This morning, I woke up quite late at about 7.30am. And I immediately got up from my bed, quickly washed up and got ready to go for morning class at 9am. Today’s lesson was APPG, nothing much on it but my class has been taught on the new chapter, chapter 2 on control classes. However, the chapter was managed to finish covering by the lecturer, Mr Chua. As for my lunch today, I had tried a new dish from one of the stalls in Canteen 3. The name of the dish called “Hei Mi Zhou”, Black Rice Porridge. When the moment I ate, the taste was much similar to one of our local desserts in Singapore. And the selling price of it was $1 RMB. It was very cheap as it was served in a medium size bowl. After that, I had tried their local snacks as well. The total amount I spent for my lunch was $3 RMB, which was about 75 cents SGD. After having lunch with my group, we went back to our classroom and waited for our lecturer to open up the classroom’s door. So while all of us in the class were having our lesson on APPG until 3pm plus. My group and I left the classroom and got ourselves changed in our hostel. At about 6pm, all of us were gathered together with our lecturers at the level 3 in the clubhouse to give our support on the friendly basketball match as the part of interacting with the China. At the end of the match, the result came out and we won. It was 54:43 on Singapore and China, which won them by 11 points. After that, I went to have dinner together with my classmates at Canteen 2 and followed by buying some snacks for tomorrow’s tour at the Three Gorges. After that, I was met my group members at the street outside of campus and went together to buy some utensils as well. So later, we headed back to the hostel and packed our things for tomorrow’s tour on 3 Days 2 Nights. After had packing them, we were turned in to sleep for getting enough energy for tomorrow’s activities. As for today, it was pretty nothing much but I had started to understand the new topic from APPG module, chapter 2 of control classes. While all of us were practicing during our break, I had used most of the concepts that taught by Mr Chua and would apply them for my mini-project. I also found that the people in China especially guys love to play basketball. Unlike in Singapore, most of the guys seldom play that as they were busy to cope with their work and studies.




Our classroom




Speak english? But in China, most of us speak Mandrain haha...






Taken together with the local students before the match starts.


Mr Ma and Mr Chua rolling the banner.


What a crowd of people standing and looking the match






Match started


Fighting for a ball


Look! They were looking so seriously and i still taking photo of them..




Shoot! Shoot! Shoot!!


My group member, Jeremy... Together with the local students. All of them are females. So fortunate..


My classmates with Mr Chua




Cakes displayed in the shop







Day 10 March 13
Today was a day for me to go for the tour of the Three Gorges in the area of Hubei, Yichang. However, it was not a day for having lessons usually. This morning I woke up at about 5.40am to get water boiled and got myself prepared. After had myself showered, I had my breakfast as well. While I were waiting for my roommates, all of us walked down together and headed to the main entrance gate of the campus to meet our tour lead and our lecturers. So when we reached there, we were the first group to arrive and got into the bus. At about 7.30am, all of us were managed to get into the bus and started heading to our destination, Yichang. The total time of travelling from our campus in Wuhan to Yichang, it took almost 4 hours to reach, from 7.30am to 12pm. It was pretty a long journey too as it was almost like two times of the time to travel from Singapore to Malaysia. As we travelled along, we were given 20 minutes toilet break included 10 minutes at 8.30am and 10 minutes at 11.30am. At about 12pm plus, we had reached our destination, Yichang. According to our tour lead’s information, it mentioned that Yichang was originally named from Yiling in the past. However, it was a place where makes the materials such as steels, metals and etc. Next, our tour lead brought us to have our lunch at the restaurant nearby. The restaurant was located at inside the building, which was named as “Yan Sha Da Jiu Dian”. After all of us had our lunch, my group member, Siew Bo and I asked one of the staffs there to take a photo together. Then, we walked to the bus area and boarded the bus to head the next destination, the Three Gorges Dam. The place was known of its hydroelectric dam which consists of 26 generators to supply the electricity currently. It was also one of the largest dams in the world. As we travelled along, the bus was stopped for 2-3 minutes to have the custom way registration. After an hour passed, we reached the destination and immediately took some photos. We were visited the area for 2-3 hours with our tour lead before we set off to board the ship tonight. At about 5.45pm, we went to board our bus and got back to Yichang for having our dinner. After had our lunch, we boarded back to the bus and headed to the ship port. Then, we waited for the gate to open up for the ship to pass through the dam. After the ship had passed through while the gate was closed, I listened to the explanation from the tour lead and experienced how the dam works accordingly. As today’s journey was quite worth to experience for me as I could have the opportunity to see the natural scenes, the largest dam in the world and its operation. At the same time, I also had learnt on how it worked from its operation. After I get back to Singapore, I would share the information to my classmates and introduce the largest dam in China.


On our way in the journey














What a big bowl of rice... FREE RICE PLEASE!!




The restuarant that we had for lunch


Siew bo and the staffs there


Me and the staffs








The ticket that we going to visit the place














The model map of the project area


The model of the Three Gorges dam




































The actual structure of Three Gorges dam










Closer view of Three Gorges dam














































Someone had an accident? Mr Chua was calling him..




Such a huge transport used in construction. Triple of the size of the car












So many black dots in the water...


Closer look!!! Its tapoles..

















































































My classmate is singing in the bus. haha... not a full version
















Our dinner






The staffs in the ship... Siew bo is with them


A full moon.. It's rare to see in Singapore








Gate closing




A closer look? Is the boat rising?




The marked of sea level that the boat have to rise.. It's so tall and the water is so deep.