4.06.2009

Journal on OIP in China - Day 33 & 34

Day 33 April 5

Today was nothing much went on as I was been doing my homework since the moment I got up from my bed. I was trying to sleep more but there were so many things to be done by this week. Then at around 12pm plus, I went down together with Shaoming and Siew bo for our lunch at Canteen 2. When we reached the canteen, we saw our group member, Jeremy was having his lunch together with his friend. Next, we went to order our food individually and had it together before we made a leave. As we were eating, we saw one of our classmates, Ernest was coming up from the staircase and we asked him where he was going. Then, he told us that he was overslept today so he had nowhere to go other than in school. After had our lunch, we went outside the school and walked to the supermarket nearby for buying some groceries. Then, after had done buying, we walked out to the main road and we saw there were some staffs doing push-ups outside their shop. I was thinking whether they were doing their punishment or just warm-up exercise. It was almost like in the army when all the soldiers to be fell in. As we walked passed them, they went back to their shop and got back to continue working. Next, we crossed the opposite and walked down along the street to buy some medicines for curing our sickness. As the days passed by, we started to fall sick without being realized. Then, we bought our medicines at the approximately cost of $25 RMB. Later, we went to another supermarket that was located at opposite of our school. As usual, we went in to buy some groceries again. After that, we went to the cake shop nearby to order a super large size of the cake as one of our classmates, Ernest was buying it to celebrate for his mother. While they were deciding the cakes, I made a move first and went back to the hostel to continue doing on my homework. As I was doing the whole day, at about 7pm, I went out to have dinner together with 3 of us, Shaoming, Siew Bo and I. We were having our dinner at the same canteen, Canteen 2. However, we gave it a try on other dish and ordered our dish at $28 RMB with free flow of rice. The dish was called Claypot fish. It seemed very nice and delicious as we were eating it. After had our dinner, we walked back to hostel and continued on doing our homework. As I was doing, I was chatted with one of the local students here, Yu qian through online conversation. We chatted in the area of our studies, school life and etc. Then, one of the things I found that she was having both classes during on weekdays and Sundays. She told me that the students here every year would be taking 2 certificates in order to complete their degree level. I was surprised and didn’t know that in the beginning. As we were chatting along until 9pm plus, we got back and continued doing our own things. As for today, it was not pretty much to be observed. I found that the local students here were much hardworking than us as being Singapore students. In Singapore, we normally study during weekdays but not included weekends. However in China, the students there were different from us. They would attend their classes at different school during the week. During the weekdays, they would study their core modules, English & French in their respective school and during the weekends, Sundays, they would attend so-called elective subject at other school. After knowing this, I felt that as being Singapore students, we were found to be more fortunate than them.

Day 34 April 6

Today was nothing much as I woke up at 7.45am to continue on doing my homework. Then at about 8.15am, I was waiting for my group member, Siew Bo to get ready and went together to meet our lecturer, Mr Chua for some discussion. In the beginning, we were supposed to meet at 8.30am with Mr Chua. However we were on our way down at 8.45am after we had left from the hostel. As our way down to the school, we saw there was so much fog that almost covered the whole school area. And we had the difficulties to see the school building and the walk paths clearly than before. At about 8.50am plus, we had managed to reach the school but there wasn’t any students and teachers there except us. Then, we walked down to the classroom outside and met Mr Chua outside of the staff room. Then, as we were about to enter the room, he suddenly asked both Siew bo and I whether we had taken our breakfast before we came here.. Eventually, we told him that we didn’t have it as we were just came for IS work discussion. Later, he told us that since we didn’t have it, then we would have it together at the canteen. Next, we went down to nearby canteen, Canteen 3 to have our breakfast there. And we had ordered a bowl of porridge each and chatted together at the same time. We chatted on some randomly topics like life in the army during the past and today. After had our breakfast at 9.45am, we went up and walked back to our classroom for APPG remedial lesson. Today’s lesson was APPG and it was been having for the whole day as we were preparing our theory test 2 from going through some revision. Although there weren’t much people attended for today’s lesson, however it was just about half of our class were attending. As we were having our APPG remedial lesson until 5pm plus, then we begun to pack our bags and I left first from the rest to the hostel for doing some work. As I was on the way back to the hostel, I saw there was some fishes that been dried up. I believed the local residents were doing this way to have their own salted fish. So that by doing that way, it would save their time from traveling to the market by taking the bus outside. At about 7.40pm, I went down to have dinner on my own at the usual place. After had taken it, I bought some bread and walked back to the hostel to continue on doing my homework. As for today, it wasn’t much to be observed. However, I have been seen quite a few of local students went to their respective school for doing some work. From what I observed that, the students here and the teachers were having their 3 day off since last Saturday, which was Qing Ming Festival. According to what Yu qian told me last night that there would have 3 days off during the day of Qing Ming Festival. So that the majority of the people in China might not going for work or study necessary. Unlike in Singapore, even if there would have a day for Qing Ming Festival, we might continue on both working and studying at the same day, which would cause us more tiring easily.